Image Map

Saturday, January 10, 2015

NOUN Review

First day back in the new semester, I felt we needed to review some concepts covered in the fall. We start our morning with a morning message, so I used that platform to introduce what we would review throughout the day.
After the morning message, we read:
Throughout the day, we did activities that highlighted nouns.  One activity we did was one  I learned during our professional development.  Lavonna Roth was our presenter on Brain Powered Lessons to Engage All Learners during this PD day. The strategy she taught that I used that first day was called word webs.
  I gave each student a card with a word on it.  They were all nouns.  Some were a person, place or a thing.  Students then sorted themselves into the different categories.  I used 3 kindergarteners to be our center of our webs since this is newest to them.   They held the cards person, place and thing.  
Another way we reviewed nouns was with our poem of the week.  This was our poem:
Click here for where I found it.
We read the poem and looked for nouns.  We talked about how nouns aren't always things you can touch like New Year and time. We found some together on the promethean board.  Then, students put poem in their poetry notebooks and highlighted the nouns.  There were some tricky nouns in there too!

 Our first week (2 days) went great! We were all so happy to see each other.  Next week we will review verbs.



1 comment:

  1. I like your morning message chart. I need to do that more often! It's such a quick and easy way to review concepts. I'm your newest follower! :-)

    ReplyDelete